Tuesday, August 12, 2014

The Power of the 'Ask'


The Power of the 'ask'.  It is a very simple concept, but something that can be quite daunting.  It is the simple act of when you need something, ask.  A little word that can hold a lot of power to both those doing the asking and those receiving it since it can solicit either a ‘yes’ or worse a ‘no’. Throughout life I have been hesitant to ask for the things that I need, whether it be personal, work-related or just life-related.  Haunted by the fear of rejection I tended to stay where I felt comfortable, to linger in those areas that I would never have to feel vulnerable. It takes both courage and confidence, something that can be difficult to muster up, but if you have it they are a powerful duo that can turn dreams into a reality.  Recently I have embarked on a side project where all I am doing is asking.  Tired of feeling scared and knowing that it has been holding me back from going further and achieving my dreams, I decided to go for it, after all what could I loose.  People that have been successful never sat by themselves twiddling their thumbs making their visions come to life, rather they reach out, they ask.

Today we live in a day and age where life has become a bit impersonal. You can connect with people without even meeting them face-to-face.  It makes it easier to put yourself out there, so that if you are going to be rejected it doesn't have to be to your face.  I have done both and doing it live is much harder and takes more guts than sending an email out into the cyber void. The reality is that some people will say yes and some people will say no. Others will challenge your inquiry, while some will welcome it with open arms.  And the fact of the matter is that the more you flex this muscle the easier it will become.  The 'yeses' will make you feel elated and the 'no's' will not sting as much over time.  Tell me, do you have any tips to share on getting the courage to ask for what you want/need? Please share!

Image via 
Artwork by Alison 

5 comments:

  1. This is a constant struggle for me too–partially because it's so hard for me to BELIEVE I deserve the things I want to ask for. I recently got a huge new job with a crazy amount of responsibility that I really had to go after and convince the company I could handle. That was a big lesson for me–putting your hat in the ring is half the battle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to hear more about this tomorrow!! Everything you say is is so true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah I relate to this SO MUCH. I really, really hate asking for things - anything, but especially help of any sort! Work in progress.... very curious about this side project now!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is definitely something I'm working on myself - it can be really scary to put yourself out there sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so true and such a good reminder!
    xx Lexi, Glitter, Inc.

    ReplyDelete